While some rumors pointed to an all-new generation of Tundra, for 2018 the truck gets a refresh which includes a new grille on some models, and perhaps most importantly all Tundra trucks will now come with Toyota Safety Sense™ (TSS-P) as standard equipment. This advanced active safety suite bundles a Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD), Lane Departure Alert (LDA), Auto High Beams (AHB) and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC). You can view the status of TSS-P through an upgraded Multi-information Display.
The new Tundra TRD Sport includes some really cool, albeit mostly cosmetic features:
- Color-keyed mirrors, front and rear bumpers
- Color-keyed hood scoop
- 20-inch alloy silver sport wheels
- LED Headlights with smoked chrome bezel, Daytime Running Lights (DRL), and LED Fog Lights
- Mesh grille with body color surround
- TRD Sport bedside graphic
- TRD Shift Knob
- TRD Sport floor mats
In the performance column, the new TRD Sport Tundra will include specifically Tuned Bilstein Shocks and TRD front and rear anti-sway bars.
All Tundra models will also see a new grille for 2018. The Limited & 1794 models get a new billet style grille, while others will arrive with a mesh style grille.
For the 2018 Sequoia, a new TRD Sport model is also in the works. We were hoping the Sequoia would finally be updated to the Tundra body upgrades, but it looks like that will wait for the new full-size generation in 2020 (estimated).
Like the Tundra, the Sequoia is unchanged mechanically, but several new features distinguish the TRD Sport model:
- New front grille and bumper grille insert
- Metallic black mirror caps
- 20-inch alloy black sport wheels
- Darkened rear tail light housing
- Black satin finish TRD Sport badging on the front doors and a Metallic black and chrome Sequoia badge on the liftgate
- Standard black fabric seven-passenger seating
- Optional Black leather captain chair seats (part of the optional Premium Package)
- TRD shift knob
- TRD Sport floor mats
- TRD Sport sill protectors
Even though we were hoping for something brand new, the new updated are certainly intersting if you're in the market for a new full-size Toyota.
You can read the entire press release on the Toyota site.